I know everybody in the free world is talking how thankful they are for this or that this time of year, but truth be told, I'm not a big fan of Thanksgiving. To me it's a bit of a waste of a holiday. Here's why.
First of all, the house is always 100 degrees. No matter where you are, or who's house you're in. It's always 100. Grandma and Grandpa like it warm, somebody has been cooking all day, you're wearing an itchy sweater. It's 100 degrees, period.
You sit in uncomfortable chairs you don't normally sit in, no lounging around in your sweat pants on the couch all day. You have to sit up and be pleasant. You eat yourself into a food coma. Everybody brings something you like, so you have to eat it. And lets face it, none of it, besides maybe the turkey, is good for you. Think about all those carbs. The noddles, the stuffing, the mac and cheese. You've got yams, yeast rolls and tons and tons of deserts. And if one meal wasn't enough, you know you're going around that table a couple of times. Which in the end, equates to being miserable.
So with all that being said, let me present the Guy's guide to the Top 5 Holiday's
5. New Years Eve/New Years Day: I know it's two days but it's hard to separate the two. You get cocktails and great college football games.
4. Father's Day: It's like the only time of the year where for 3 or 4 hours your kids pretend to like you. So while it's not high on most peoples list of great holidays, for me it's top five.
3. Labor Day: Kids go back to school. Which means we stop "laboring" over the kids.
2. Fourth of July: Cocktails, grilling out my favorite foods. Blowing up stuff. Beach/Pool and relaxation.
1. St. Patrick's Day: People are generally in a good mood, and you've got March Madness. College basketball and green beer, what could be better for a guy.
So there you have it.
Enjoy your itchy sweater.
This post was actually a rant by one of my favoite sports talk radio host, Colin Cowherd from ESPN. I thought it was spot on.