Tuesday, February 16, 2016

That Was Fun...

Sometimes I watch my children and remember what it was like to be on that side of life. Each one of them at different ages it's as if I'm peaking through a window watching myself.

Today I'm reminded of a time and life that no longer exists. Of my first apartment. A rough neighborhood. A dog I wasn't supposed to have, and a young man.

Life was simple back then. No t.v. No Internet. Just me, working for the weekends. A six foot Led Zeppelin poster graced my living room with the words of Stairway to Heaven printed across it. Words we lived by back then. It wasn't classy, but it was my place. No roommates, no parents. Just me.

Somewhere in the memories, I can still hear the whistle of the train out back that would wake us up at 1 am. Twenty plus years later, I wonder how many young kids have heard that same whistle.

Groucho Marx once said, When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, Damn that was fun.

I don't miss that life. It no longer exists for a reason. But damn, that was fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment