Thursday, July 31, 2014

I'm Human, I'm Moving on, and Only God can Judge Me....

So if you're a sports fan, football in particular, you've probably heard all the news surrounding Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice recently. Long story short a few months ago he was arrested; caught on tape for punching his then fiance in the face and knocking her out in a Vegas hotel. Seriously people. He punched her in the face so hard she was unconscious.

So as part of his punishment his employer, the National Football League did what every other employer would do, they gave him a little time off. Two games to be exact. And today he was going to address the media. 

Let me first say that I did not watch or listen to his press conference. But I have a pretty good idea how it went.
photo credit


I'M HUMAN 

Yes I'm sure Mr. Rice started out the press conference with something apologetic that expressed the fact that he is, after all, human. He made a mistake. He's sorry, and everybody deserves a second chance. It won't happen again, he loves her... yada, yada, yada. 

I'M MOVING ON

Now I'm sure after he explained how he's just a man who made one bad decision and how he deserves a second chance, he went into phase two of the standard athlete apology. I'm moving forward. 

You know this is where he tells us how he's only going to focus on his sport and how he won't be taking any more questions about the matter after today because he's moving on. His family is moving on and he asks that we respect his wishes and move on as well. Let's just all put this little issue behind us. You know, like when your kid spills his drink at a restaurant or something. 

ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME

I think stage three is my favorite. Only God Can Judge Me. This is the ultimate get out of jail fee card. Basically he turns the tables on those groups that are outraged by his actions and the punishment that followed, simply by saying. Hey,only God can judge me. This is where he gets slightly defensive saying, you don't know me. You don't know what I've been through, and you have no right to pass judgement. And if you are passing judgement then you're the one who is wrong.  

Now look, I love football as much as the next guy, but the way this whole thing has been handled is ridiculous. Shame on the NFL and the commissioner for only suspending him two games. Shame on the Baltimore Ravens for not stepping up and saying this will not be tolerated on our team. Shame on all the fans who turn a blind eye to the fact that this guy knocked out his girlfriend. And shame on those who applauded this guy when he stepped on the field for the first day of practice.

But I guess, he's human and he's moving on. Besides, who am I to judge. Only God can do that....right Mr. Rice?





No comments:

Post a Comment