Monday, November 3, 2014

Life Lessons...

I took my oldest daughter with me to the gas station yesterday. Mostly because I needed some help with a car issue, but turns out it was a great teaching opportunity. I feel like with all the sports and coaching I've done lately I've neglected my girls when it comes to learning opportunities recently. She makes it seem like it's a bother, her being with me, but then again she's 12. Everything is a bother. On the way we make small talk about the car, and her pumping gas for me.
 It's easy for me to give life lessons, or teaching moments to my son, even though he never wants to hear them. But sometimes I forget my daughters need these moments as well. Not because some day they'll be the man of the house, (not that there's anything wrong with that), but because they need these memories with their dad. On the way back to the house she makes fun of me and my car. I laugh because I understand there's a torch that's passed down. Every child makes fun of their parents, and every parent claims, you'll be old some day


Today is my 13th wedding anniversary. And as I write this post I think about what an awesome learning opportunity this has been. Not for me but for my kids. I think it's important for them to see all the ups and some of the downs that marriage couples go through, and I'm glad we've been able to provide that. The DW and I have lunch together and we talk about 13 years ago. I think about where we are and what we've been through, and honestly wouldn't change a thing. 

We spent this past Saturday kid free. We didn't do anything special and maybe that was the nice part. We went antique shopping for the day then had dinner. I remember when we were dating we spent a Saturday together and went to some flea market near where she lived. It wasn't much of a date, but I remember that day thinking how I was falling for her. I guess it just goes to show you that Love is weird. Sometimes it sneaks up on you in a flea market. It also goes to show you that we've been party animals from the get go. 

After work we go to my son's basketball game. He plays well. I'm proud of him. Not just because he played well and they won, but because of his attitude and sportsmanship. Something he's had to work on. After the game he rides home with me. It's just us in the car and we talk about the game. Something I never remember my dad doing with me. I asked him what he did best during the game. To which we both agreed was his defense. Then I asked what he did worst during the game. We have different view on what part of his game he needs to work on, but it's ok because it shows me he understands he's not perfect. It shows him as well...another life lesson. 





No comments:

Post a Comment