Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Inspiration

You know they say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. A few days ago I mentioned that I caught up with an old friend and she inspired me to blog. Funny how life moves in cycles.

So I guess I should start by saying that I work out a little bit at a gym. Although I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure you would know just from looking at me. But I do. The company I work for has a small gym in the building so it makes it convenient. I don't have to pay for anything and can go right after work. I've been working out for some time a couple of days a week, again not that you could tell. Maybe that's because I'm not 100% committed? I don't do it day in and day out like maybe I should. Part of that is because things come up at the house and I don't make time, or because I don't feel well, or maybe I'm just lazy, but whatever. But like I said I don't pay for it, so there really isn't much guilt (especially if I don't look in the mirror). So along with this working out, I started running. Again, not very consistent. My goal is to someday run a mini-marathon, and then who knows? Maybe an actual marathon. So I was up to about 8 miles, but lately have done much more than 3 miles. It's harder to do these things as you get older because your body needs more time to recover. Or at least that's what I tell myself. But for the most part I do stay pretty active. And the people I work with know that I work-out run, and I've had different conversations with people about my running a mini.

So today while breaking rocks, at about 10 o'clock, a gentlemen stops me and says the I've inspired him. He said that because I work out and run he was inspired to start exercising and loose weight. Said he'd lost 13 lbs in a couple of weeks. Let me tell you I felt awesome. I really felt great that I had inspired someone just by being me and by doing what I do. Ok so it was good that the fat guy lost some weight too, but I was so happy. It made me evaluate myself a little bit. I started thinking about how "every man's life touches so many other lives" (it's a wonderful life...George Baily). I started thinking about how my words and actions touch other people. I started thinking about how great I felt knowing that I made a difference, even if just a slight difference in somebody's life. I started thinking about God and maybe this is what "it's" all about, inspiring other people. I was on top of the world.

 I went back to my desk feeling pretty good and couldn't wait to blog the events of this day. Then about five minutes later someone crapped on my day. I won't go into details because I really don't want to, but it felt like I got punched in the gut and all my happiness vanished just like that. So the rest of my day was now shot. I felt like crap and just wanted the day to be over. 

So today after work I did not run and I did not work out. Instead I came home and took a little nap. Tonight I'll plop in front of the T.V and watch the World Series and eat some cereal. 
Tomorrow's another day.

J-Tony

1 comment:

  1. I know someone who'd run the mini with you. He's a few years older, shouldn't be a problem keeping up. :-)

    ReplyDelete