Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Girls and Boys

So today, was one of those days in life when you realize,  as much as you'd like, you just can't stop time.

You see tonight my kindergarten clown informed me that she has a boyfriend. Yes that's right kindergarten. Boyfriend. Then later tonight the DW had some picture samples of high school boys on them sitting out and she walks up, takes a look at them and clearly says, who are all these hot guys? 
Now I can tell you honestly that as a father of two daughters I am not looking forward to the boys who will no doubt be apart of my daughters' lives. So naturally I did what every other father of a 6 year old who is checking out boys would do. I told her she's grounded... for life. 

Now I realize she's in kindergarten and it's just one of those silly crushes we all have. I can remember being in first grade myself and having a girlfriend. So really the fact that she claims she has a boyfriend doesn't really bother me, it's more of the fact that I can't stop the inevitable, which is to say, I can't stop her from having boyfriends. 

The DW always says, I don't want them to grow up, I want them to stay little forever, but I've always said that I can't wait for them to grow up. What I mean is I can't wait to see them experience life. I can't wait to watch them grow up and do all those firsts. Except the whole boys thing. Not looking forward to those firsts.

I guess I know that the time will come when I will have to give my baby girl up to some boy, and truthfully I'm glad, because that would mean that she's found someone that makes her happy and wants to spend the rest of her life with. I just don't think I'm ready to go down that road when she's six.

J-Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment