Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Passion

So I guess it's no real secret that I work in a factory. I work in the office portion, but it's a manufacturing factory. I like to refer to it as the mill, the shop, breaking rocks, or the institution. I guess no matter what I call it it's not exactly something that I enjoy doing. I guess that's not a big secret either.

Now I get the whole only you can prevent forest fires thing, and I do believe that, but here's the thing. Today I had a group of people in and I was giving them the nickle tour of our plant. As we were walking and talking I asked the group if anyone had any questions or anything, and one of them replied, No I'm just taking it all in, I'm like a kid in a candy store.

I found this comment to be a little disturbing, and a little depressing and he's why. I find it disturbing because it's a factory. To me, it's a sort of, seen one seen 'em all sort of thing. I mean how can a guy get that excited about seeing people work on an assembly line? Was he serious? Do people really get excited about manufacturing? As I was thinking about his comments it brought me to the depressing part of it. I don't feel that way.

You see I get up and go to work every day because that's what I'm supposed to do, but I'm not passionate about my work, now I do my job and what's asked of me don't get me wrong, but there's no real passion involved. I really wish I was. I wish I could be excited about my job, and what I do. Again, I know only you can prevent forest fires. Which means only you can make changes. Only you can find what your passionate about and go for it. I get that. Believe me, I preach it to everybody I talk to, and maybe one of these days I'll get right on it.

So anyway, it just struck me today. I thought, there's something you will never here me say in here? I guess it works for that guy though, good for him. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Well so somebody mentioned to me today that Christmas is next weekend. I couldn't believe it. I was like what?  Next weekend? Where does the time go? You know every year we say we don't know how were going to get everything done. The shopping, wrapping, the baking, whatever it is, but you know it always comes together in the end. I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year. Maybe a little more this year then the last few.

J-Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment