Friday, June 24, 2011

Would you like an apple pie with that???

Hey Lifers...

Ok lets get right into it because today's post is lengthy.

So today at lunch I decided to go through the drive-thu at McDonald's. I know, I know, there's my first mistake right?

Anyway, so I'm in the drive-thru, and there are a ton of cars lined up in front and behind me right. So I place my order. I'm in the outside lane so after ordering I make like Jeff Gordon and quickly cut off the guy on the inside, because that's how I roll when it comes to the 2 lane McDonald's drive-thru.

Now I get to the first window, and the little girl inside rings me up and takes my card. No issues here. Rolling along as normal.

Finally I get to the second window where the lady hands me my crack sweet tea, and then makes the mistake that will haunt her for the rest of her life. Ok that might be a little over the top. Anyway, she asks me if I would pull up and wait. Oh no she di-ent. I never really say that I just thought it might spice things up a bit.

So anyway, I sort of contemplate pulling up, then politely tell her No and that I'll just stay right here. She tries her best to convince me to pull up by explaining that it will only be for a few minutes.

I'm thinking, Look lady, I've got a full tank of gas, a radio, and a blackberry. I can rock out, post on facebook and sit in the a/c for as long at it takes. I'm not going anywhere.

Again I tell her I'll wait here.

She slams the window.

A few seconds later another lady emerges and pleads another case for why I should pull up.

Sir, I need you to pull up for a few minutes, she frantically suggests. As if the conversation I just had with the other lady never happened.

I'm ok. I'll just wait here, I say. Again, politely.

Sir, the problem is I have all these other people behind you with orders that I need to fill.

This is where I get a little pissy. So I explain to her. That's not my problem. I'm here. I'm the next car in line. Fill my order first. Take care of this customer then worry about the next one. 

Her rebuttal looking out the window behind me at the line of cars. Well I guess I'll just have to tell all these people that their food was held up because you wouldn't pull forward.

What? What is that? Is that some sort of guilt trip? Come on lady I've got 3 kids, I know guilt trips. Don't bring that weak stuff into my house. Trust me, your Jedi mind tricks will not work on me even in my weakened hunger state.

My response. I don't care what you tell em.

About that time someone races from the back with my sack of food.  I say thank you and pull away.

Of course I checked the bag for lugy's.

Here's the thing. It's not like I asked them to whip me up a grilled cheese and kool-aid, right? I ordered right off the menu board. My usual. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't deviate, so it's not like they had to make me something special. Not only that, but I've got a limited amount of time here. If I pull up it just helps you get people off your screen so you can tell your manager, or managers manager how fast you got people through the drive-thu. If I stay put you concentrate on only me and my order. In fact it gives you time to work on orders behind me even.

Now let's say the guy behind me only ordered a large coke right? So I get that they want to fill his order and get him out of the line. To that I say screw him; should have been here sooner. The point is I'm next in line.

And come on. What's with the guilt trip? Seriously lady? Why don't you tell all these cars behind me that McDonald's is incompetent and unprepared to deal with the lunch rush today. Tell them your summer help called in. Tell them you're practicing your best Seinfeld episode where you know how to take the orders, you just don't know how to fill the orders. Which is really the most important part of the order process. Again, I don't care what you tell em, just give me my food.

Yeah, so I'm pretty sure I can't go back to that McDonald's for awhile. Anybody know a place with good sweet tea?

J-Tony

So tell me Lifers, do you pull up? Would you pull up if asked?

1 comment:

  1. *applause* Seriously, I'm in awe that you refused to pull up. A good awe. You know, that something we all wish we had the guts to do, but you did it.

    ReplyDelete